There's nothing like a relaxing afternoon spent leisurely enjoying the pampering of a mani/pedi at the salon. All your worries melt away as they massage, moisturize, and adorn your nails with adorable designs. It's all so heavenly...until it's time to pay the bill. That extra cuticle treatment costs how much?
Luckily, there are plenty of at-home options for those of us who are more budget-conscious. These tricks will have your friends leaving the salon and lining up at your front door instead.
1. Vinegar, lemons, and rubbing alcohol are all great alternatives to chemical-heavy polish removers.
2. To remove persistent gel manicures, wrap your nails in acetone-soaked gauze and aluminum foil for five to seven minutes.
3. Prep your nails with vinegar for longer-lasting polish.
4. Remove dark polish stains with whitening toothpaste.
5. Store your polish in your fridge to keep the pigments from separating.
6. Use Vaseline (or Elmer's glue) on the skin around the nail to keep it from getting messy.
7. Create a perfect French mani with paper hole reinforcers.
8. A Band-Aid can also get the job done.
9. More porous Band-Aids can make polka dots a breeze.
10. Or you can simply grab one of your trusty bobby pins.
11. Use a crafty hole puncher and tape to create cute designs.
12. Ordinary Scotch tape is also good for angled designs.
13. Thin tape is great for more intricate patterns.
14. Use a Sharpie to get even more creative.
15. I especially love using them for these metallic accents.
16. Use your makeup foam sponge to create killer ombre nails.
17. De-gloss any polish and transform it into a matte using cornstarch.
18. Clear nail polish + glittery eye shadow = stunning nails.
19. Glitter is always a pain to take off, though, so use a thin layer of Elmer's glue to make it a lot easier.
20. Fix small smudges by lightly licking the still-wet nails.
21. Dip your nails into ice-cold water to instantly dry them.
22. Remove spilled polish from carpet using acetone and shaving cream.
Use sugar for hard floors.
Now you can use all that money you're saving by not going to the salon to add to your own polish collection! And you won't have to wait for your appointment to roll around when manicure emergencies happen.