It's no accident that naturally colorful foods are really good for you. They're high in nutrients, antioxidants, can help keep your bones strong and even prevent some cancers...yet that doesn't seem to be enough to make more folks interested in their goodness. It must be that everyone is so used to seeing whites and yellows in their meals (though, we're not hating on carbs!). But maybe a color less often seen in main dishes will draw in a new audience?
Purple potatoes offer up vitamin-packed versions of classic carby dishes, and violet sweet potatoes offer a healthy, sweet substitute for traditionally sugary desserts. But more importantly...they all look so incredibly BEAUTIFUL. These 24 recipes should be enough to get you started on a purple potato kick today.
1. Is there anything edible in the world more adorable than purple gnocchi?
2. Garlic mashed potatoes just got so much more fun.
3. OR you could go the fork-crushed route for a more rustic look.
4. A pink radish and purple potato salad is everything to my inner five-year-old.
5. Are you ready to bake these babies twice?
6. Did we mention there are purple sweet potatoes, too?! Roast 'em and drizzle them with yogurt and pistachios.
7. Or, turn them into beautiful steamed buns.
8. Make your (vegan?!) sweet tooth super happy with this coconut-almond-crusted sweet potato pie.
9. More into savory snacks? Turn purple potatoes into these stunning homemade potato chips!
10. Then, use them as boats for crème fraîche and caviar...fan-CY.
11. Messy is in: smash 'em and sprinkle them with fancy pine nuts.
12. These mini vegetarian shepherd's pies give me that cozy, comfort food feeling, just with more mauve.
13. Thai stuffed purple sweet potatoes will make your eyes just as happy as your taste buds.
14. This super-easy baked mash will brighten up a normally all-white dish.
15. Purple sweet potato turnovers? Yes, please!
16. Is this a smoothie? No, but it's an equally delicious leek potato fennel soup.
17. This, on the other hand, is a purple sweet potato smoothie that offers a nutrient-packed breakfast.
18. You can also mix your potatoes with oatmeal, add some blueberries, and you've got yourself a purple(ish) pancake.
19. Add your favorite frosting to these sweet potato cupcakes for a vaguely healthy dessert.
20. I know we already mashed them up, but these have a sesame brown butter, so...
21. We suggest stuffing the above mash into this collard wrap for a crazy-good-for-you mouthful.
22. Puffed pastry filled with sweet potato custard sounds so adventurous and so, SO delicious.
23. Use these root gems to bake a cake, and cover it in coconut frosting. Glorious.
24. Tots are always great, but purple tots? Come on, people. Get with this greatness.
I don't know about you, but those purple tater tots just got me really excited about dinner. You could also adapt your favorite potato recipe to accommodate its purple counterpart -- easy as pie!