In today's modern age, it's hard to find anything that's under $5. Even getting more than two or three gallons of gas is going to run you more than an ol' Abe. You can, however, still grab a bottle of water, one of Earth's natural resources, for just barely under $5. You can also get 20 whole gum balls, but with how fast the flavor runs out, you'll be done with all of those in a day. It's impossible to find a lunch that's under $10, let alone $5, unless you're looking for a happy meal. While we're on the topic of fast food -- the supposedly cheap way out of a meal -- you're still looking at over a fiver if you want fries and a drink. It's ridiculous!
Now that you're all caught up on the various reasons why your bank account is draining so fast, calm yourself with these 23 totally awesome DIY projects that'll run you under that $5 line. The best part? None of them look that cheap!
1. This cool tie-dye shirt is made with just Sharpies and alcohol.
2. This gold leaf vase is so classy, no one will know it was so cheap to make.
3. You can make an adorable reversible coffee cup sleeve with a few scraps of fabric.
4. Spiff up a cheap hair comb with some fun yarn.
5. Outer space is cool, so make your own galaxy shirt.
6. These dinosaur key chains are really important.
7. Customize your own mini notebook with a cereal box.
8. Recycle old toys to make this incredible dino serving dish.
9. Never let anyone steal your charger again...yours will be the only one covered in glitter.
10. Make some nice bracelets out of old t-shirts.
11. These paper net garlands are way classier than the old paper chain kind.
12. If you're bored of your camera strap...paint it!
13. Make your own fancy bath salts for waaaay less.
14. Turn those old, scratched-up vinyls that no one is ever going to listen to again into cool bowls.
15. Sew yourself a simple clutch.
16. Turn old plastic bottles into a fun bowling game.
17. You don't have to be a kid to love this felt raccoon mask.
18. Turn a mason jar into a sewing kit.
19. These watercolor mugs are super gorgeous.
20. Your piggy bank could be a little vacation in itself.
21. Hijack a younger sibling's or a child's LEGOs to make a cute desk organizer.
22. Make five gallons of laundry soap for under $2.
23. Don't buy overpriced lip gloss, either. Make your own!
(via DIY Projects For Teens)
You could make four of these lasting pieces for the cost of one modest dinner out on the town...so what are you waiting for? Don't keep the crafter in you all bottled up just because it seems like a pricey hobby...there is plenty to be made on a budget!