Cold weather is great for cozying up with a loved one, buried under tons of blankets, but it can also drain your bank account with all the money that goes towards keeping your home, well, cozy. Unless you're like me and don't mind when your house is 60 degrees or lower, you're going to want to find ways to cut the costs of keeping toasty.
Here are five simple ways, including the pros and cons of each option:
1. These weather strips are great for a quick fix requiring minimal effort.
They can, however, leave behind a sticky residue or ruin paint if you ever plan on taking them off.
2. Window insulation foam is super cheap and effective...
But it leaves your windows shrink-wrapped. If that's alright with you, insulate away!
3. These shades let light in and can be custom-fit for your windows and doors!
However, they can be pricey and may not insulate as well as a heavier curtain.
4. Heavy or layered curtains are very efficient, and they look nice, too!
The downside is they can also be pricey and they block out light.
5. Draft snakes are cheap, and can even be a fun DIY project. Just sew a tube and fill it with rice!
These will only protect against cold air coming in from the frame, not the entire glass, so they won't be quite as effective.
(via Apartment Therapy)
You could even do a combination of two methods to save even more money ultimately! Now what are you waiting for? Go winter-proof your home!